Volunteer Opportunities for Teens
Calling all teens with a heart for animals and passion for doing good—we need you! HUMANE HEROES, our Teen Volunteer Program, is the perfect way for teens with a heart of gold to gain volunteer experience, learn important life skills, and learn about animal sheltering.
HUMANE HEROES allows youth ages 14-17 to volunteer at the shelter without a parent or guardian, but still under the supervision of shelter adoption staff and adult volunteers. HEROES assist with the basic, day-to-day needs of our HSNEGA adoption animals, creating a better quality of life for the animals in our temporary care. Duties include assisting with exercise and socialization for select adoption animals, assisting with basic facility maintenance, and working with HSNEGA staff to assist guests with facilitating the perfect adoption match. Limited community events, off-site adoption, and education program opportunities also are available; however, the focus is volunteering on-site at HSNEGA.
Space in the HUMANE HEROES program is limited to 15 participants for each term and is very competitive. New Teen Volunteers are accepted in groups, with new groups starting on a 4-month, fixed term with volunteer service available in the Winter/Spring, Summer, and Fall. At the end of each 4-month term, current Teen Volunteers are welcome to reapply for the next 4-month term, however, acceptance into the new term is not guaranteed.
Our HUMANE HEROES are held accountable to the exceptional values and standards of care all HSNEGA volunteers are asked to exhibit, so we will seek only youths who are committed to this unique volunteer opportunity. Other HUMANE HERO requirements include:
- Display a “humane” attitude toward HSNEGA’s animals, volunteers, adopters, and, most importantly, other Teen Program volunteers.
- Currently be 14-17 years old (sorry, no exceptions for those under 14 at the time of application deadlines)
- Complete an application. Applications will be accepted until January 13 for Winter/Spring term (Jan-April), April for Summer term (May-August) and August for Fall term (September-December).
- Send in a letter of recommendation from a non-family member to OPaul@HSNEGA.org before the deadline.
- Commit to volunteer for at least 4 hours a month for a 4-month service term.
- Purchase volunteer uniform and supplies totaling $30. (If you are financially unable to cover the costs, please let us know.)
- Provide proof of current medical insurance coverage (no exceptions).
- Have means of reliable, safe transportation to and from your assigned volunteer shifts
- Attend a Teen Volunteer Orientation session (total of two hours) prior to starting the program.
Volunteer shifts are only offered on pre-designated days and times. HSNEGA cannot accommodate drop-In Teen Volunteers and do not assign specific shifts.
If the form is not available, please check back in the specified months (December, April, and August).
Please note that not all applicants will be selected for an interview, and not all those selected for an interview will be admitted to the program. To be accepted into the program, you must be available for both the interview, as well as attend a volunteer orientation.
If you are interested in APPLYING to be a HUMANE HERO to fulfill a service requirement, please carefully read through our Teen Volunteer Program requirements to carefully assess if this program is right for your schedule and will satisfy all of your school requirements.