Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia (HSNEGA). As a non-profit agency, the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia has a small staff and relies heavily on our team of volunteers. We play a vital role in caring for and finding homes for an average 6,000 to 8,000 pets annually. We couldn’t do any of this without our compassionate, dedicated, long-term volunteers.
Each year, more than 300 volunteers, with a wide variety of backgrounds, donate more than 30,000 hours of service, giving hands-on care to animals, raising much needed funds for our shelter, educating our community, assisting in our Spay/Neuter Center, providing administrative support, and more. Humane Society of Northeast Georgia volunteers report a deep sense of satisfaction in contributing to improving the lives of our shelter animals while working alongside others who desire to create a better future for all animals in Northeast Georgia.
We provide the training for all volunteer positions, so no prior experience is required. Whether nursing a baby kitten, greeting guests to our Adoption Center, or helping to make an event successful, you can be a part of the LIFE-SAVING work we do.
Expectations of HSNEGA volunteers
- Dedicated volunteers make up the majority of our workforce and we schedule their hours according to animal care needs. It is vitally important that volunteers show up for their shifts.
- While people come to the HSNEGA because they love animals, volunteers must also be able to work well with other people. Our shelter isn’t just about animals—it’s about people helping animals and our community.
- For everyone’s protection, volunteers must use the safe animal handling techniques taught in their orientation and training.
- All tasks, from cleaning cages to stuffing envelopes, have specific procedures. Volunteers must adhere to these procedures unless a staff member directs them otherwise.
- Once volunteers know their work routines, they are expected to work with minimal supervision. Following through on tasks ensures the animals are receiving the best possible care. Staff are always available to answer questions.
**Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia! Beginning January 2014, we will be taking time out to restructure our volunteer program and will begin accepting new volunteer applications shortly. We are using this time to enhance our program, and hope you will join us in the Spring 2014 as we continue to promote a positive environment for the animals in our care and our community. We appreciate your patience in advance during this transition. If you have any questions or comments, please contact Kelley Uber at KelleyUber@HSNEGA.org. Thank you again for your understanding and patience.**