Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia (HSNEGA). As a non-profit agency, the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia has a small staff and relies heavily on our team of volunteers. We play a vital role in caring for and finding homes for an average 6,000 to 8,000 pets annually. We couldn’t do any of this without our compassionate, dedicated, long-term volunteers.
Each year, more than 300 volunteers, with a wide variety of backgrounds, donate more than 30,000 hours of service, giving hands-on care to animals, raising much needed funds for our shelter, educating our community, assisting in our Spay/Neuter Center, providing administrative support, and more. Humane Society of Northeast Georgia volunteers report a deep sense of satisfaction in contributing to improving the lives of our shelter animals while working alongside others who desire to create a better future for all animals in Northeast Georgia.
We provide the training for all volunteer positions, so no prior experience is required. Whether nursing a baby kitten, greeting guests to our Adoption Center, or helping to make an event successful, you can be a part of the LIFE-SAVING work we do.
Expectations of HSNEGA volunteers
- Dedicated volunteers make up the majority of our workforce and we schedule their hours according to animal care needs. It is vitally important that volunteers show up for their shifts.
- While people come to the HSNEGA because they love animals, volunteers must also be able to work well with other people. Our shelter isn’t just about animals—it’s about people helping animals and our community.
- For everyone’s protection, volunteers must use the safe animal handling techniques taught in their orientation and training.
- All tasks, from cleaning cages to stuffing envelopes, have specific procedures. Volunteers must adhere to these procedures unless a staff member directs them otherwise.
- Once volunteers know their work routines, they are expected to work with minimal supervision. Following through on tasks ensures the animals are receiving the best possible care. Staff are always available to answer questions.
If you are interested in volunteering with the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia, please follow these steps:
- Be of age. Volunteer positions have a minimum age requirement of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you must have a parent and/or guardian with you at all times when you volunteer.
- Submit an online application. Our Volunteer Application helps us learn more about you while finding an opportunity that finds our needs and your experience.
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation. You will learn about the volunteer positions available at the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia, our history and policies. After you submit your application a staff member will be in touch to let you know when the next orientations are scheduled.
- Pay a $25 Administrative Fee. We realize your desire to help our shelter, and by paying a $25 fee, it helps off-set staffing costs and includes your volunteer T-Shirt, apron, and volunteer nametag.
- Choose a volunteer placement(s) and shift. Before then, you can peruse our Volunteer Opportunities to see what kinds of placements the HSNEGA has available. Once you have chosen a placement, a representative will work with you to schedule any required trainings. In addition, all volunteers have access to their personal scheduling site called the Volunteer Information Center or VIC.
- Make a commitment. A six-month commitment is required for most volunteer positions, but there are many flexible options.