What is Humane Education?
Humane Education fosters respect for all living beings on earth. At the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia, Humane Education programs are available for persons of every age and includes shelter tours, classroom visits, reading programs, and Scout Badge Programs aimed at fostering the Mission of the HSNEGA among other things.
Can’t bring your students to us? We can bring the HSNEGA to you! The Humane Society of Northeast Georgia offers educational programs along with a visit from an ambassa-pup for classroom groups of all ages. Classroom programs are offered on a first come, first served basis, availability is limited. Programs are free with student donations from our educational or full Wish List, which you can find HERE or groups can give a nominal donation of $25. See all of our available programs below. Take advantage of this great resource and schedule your classroom program today! Please request a visit at least two weeks in advance to allow us time to prepare. For more information or to request a program, please contact our Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator at SJolly@HSNEGA.org.
Adoption Center Tours
Do you have a class or club organization that is interested in learning more about the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia? Would you like a tour with your educational program? Bring your group to us! Scheduled tours are available for your small group or class. Along with your tour, you will get a short introduction to HSNEGA and a meet and greet with one of our friendly rescues. Groups should consist of no less than 5 and no more than 15 people per visit. There should be 1 adult for every 5 children. Tours last approximately 30 minutes. Again, tours are free with donations from our educational or full wishlist or with a nominal donation of $25. Please request your tour at least two weeks in advance. Please contact our Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator at SJolly@HSNEGA.org for information on scheduling a tour.
Check out all of our available programs. Programs can be tailored to accommodate whatever learning objectives you may have for your group, just let us know!
- Reading and Rescues: Along with your group tour, students can grab a book from our small library (or bring their own!) and read to our rescues. This program benefits both students and rescues by providing socialization for our rescues and reading practice for students in front of a non-judgmental audience. Every student will receive a free HSNEGA bookmark! (30 minutes)
- Being the “Perfect Person”: Ideal for children pre-k through 2nd grade, enjoy the interactive story of “Pablo Puppy’s Search for the Perfect Person” along with discussion on being a “Perfect” pet owner and rescue pets. (30 minutes)
- The Pet Shop: Ideal for children 2nd through 6th grade, students will select items that they would need for their new pet and add up costs. Discussion about what items are needed to provide properly for the care of our pets. (45 minutes)
- Dr. Doolittle: Pet Communication: Tailored to any age range, this educational program reviews how to safely interact with new animals and interpret animal body language. (45 minutes)
- OverPUPulation & MultipliCATion: Ideal for middle school and above, this educational includes an activity which demonstrates how quickly pet populations can grow and the importance of spay/neuter and pet wellness. (45 minutes)
Educational Wish List
- Purina ONE Smartblend Foods (unopened)
- Dog and cat toys
- Books for all age ranges, fiction and non-fiction (new or used)
- Baby wipes
- Disinfectant wipes
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Old towels and/or blankets (any sizes)
- Empty spray bottles
You can find our full Wish List here.